Here are a few of our favourite St David’s day things!….
1. Welsh designer Antonella Commatteo http://www.commatteo.co.uk
2. Welsh cakes – here’s how to make them
What you need…
225g plain flour, 85g sugar, 1/2 tsp of mixed spice, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 50g butter cut into small pieces, 50g lard cut into small pieces and a little extra for frying, 50g currents, 1 egg beaten, splash of milk.
What to do…
- Tip the flour, sugar, mixed spice, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Then, with your fingers, rub in the butter and lard until crumbly. Mix in the currants. Work the egg into the mixture until you have soft dough, adding a splash of milk if it seems a little dry – it should be the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of your little finger. Cut out rounds using a 6cm cutter, re-rolling any trimmings. Grease a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan with lard, and place over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh cakes in batches, for about 3 mins each side, until golden brown, crisp and cooked through. Delicious served warm with butter and jam, or simply sprinkled with caster sugar. Cakes will stay fresh in a tin for 1 week.
3. Handbags-at-dawn calf skin clutch, a perfect accessory for St David’s day
4. Welsh nails!
Happy St David’s day!