225g plain flour, 85g sugar, 1/2 tsp of mixed spice, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 50g butter cut into small pieces, 50g lard cut into small pieces and a little extra for frying, 50g currents, 1 egg beaten, splash of milk.
What to do…
Tip the flour, sugar, mixed spice, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Then, with your fingers, rub in the butter and lard until crumbly. Mix in the currants. Work the egg into the mixture until you have soft dough, adding a splash of milk if it seems a little dry – it should be the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of your little finger. Cut out rounds using a 6cm cutter, re-rolling any trimmings. Grease a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan with lard, and place over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh cakes in batches, for about 3 mins each side, until golden brown, crisp and cooked through. Delicious served warm with butter and jam, or simply sprinkled with caster sugar. Cakes will stay fresh in a tin for 1 week.
3. Handbags-at-dawn calf skin clutch, a perfect accessory for St David’s day
1. We’re just loving Coco Fennell, a small label with gorgeous clothes and wonderful sale now on – The Coco Fennell philosophy – “I want to build a brand that is all about fun, friendliness and positive body image. I want to work with the female body, not against it, and make clothes for boobs, hips, bums and waists. Clothes that you’d be happy to bump into your ex-boyfriend in, that make the local builders whistle and make you feel happy and gorgeous day and night.”
2. Alila Villas Uluwatu, Bali, “an awe-inspiring temple of sybaritic pleasure” and also the only overseas hotel to win a Royal Institute of British Architects award.
3. New Dior Vernis colours for spring we’re loving this Gris trianon hurry though it’s selling fast!
4. The new Alice Temperley collection for John Lewis which launches on Thursday.
Large enough to carry all your beauty necessities, this gorgeous hand-embroidered make-up bag from Emma Lomax is a handbag essential. Fully lined, this make-up bag is water-resistant and closes with a zip.
Outer: 100% canvas with Scotchguard protection
Inner: Water-resistant foam lining with porous synthetic cotton
Dimensions: 19 x 15 (H) x 9 (G) cm + zip and handle
Emma Lomax is a Fine Art Graduate with a lifelong passion for embroidery and the home-made. Emma decided to mix her passion, experience and skill to create wittily stitched, high quality, ethical sourced canvas bags.
Each piece is lovingly finished by hand, making every one an original. This further allows the owner to feel individual and unique.
3. Halloween food and drink – This little bottle of pure grain vodka is home to a farm-raised, edible scorpion, which gives the vodka a smooth, woody taste. Serve the vodka neat, straight from the freezer, or blend with tonic or other mixer. The scorpion has been specially treated to ensure no toxins remain, so you can eat it once the vodka has gone – if you dare available from fortnum and mason
4. New handbag essential – Fig+Yarrow’s Smelling Salts A potent blend of essential oils, salts and Camphor crystals to clear sinus congestion, stimulate energy, dispel drowsiness and discourage infection; Fig+Yarrow’s Smelling Salts could quickly become your new best friend! available from Cult beauty.